12 May 2010

my students are better than your students


probably.

i cannot emphasize enough just how fantastic the 6th grade field trip was. we left buwon elementary school early monday morning and spent the past three days soaking up korean history in gyeongju.

since i rode in the 6-10 class bus, i spent most of my time hanging with them~~totally ok with me, because this would be my favorite class if i was allowed to have a favorite ^__^

we did so so so many fabulous things on the trip: touring buddhist temples, palaces, parks, and museums. i learned a lot about korean history, but the trip was so amazing because it really gave me the chance to get closer to my students and the other teachers. i teach approximately 1,200 students, and i only see each grade once every month, making it virtually impossible for me to really get to know my students. i have to admit that i was very nervous about this trip...but all of my students were eager to practice their english, grab my hand, and drag me after them to tell me something that they had learned or teach me new korean words.

this trip also gave me a really great opportunity to become closer with the other teachers. i work in the 6th grade office since i no longer have an english classroom, but many of the teachers are afraid to talk to me because they aren't confident with their english [and i am too scared to practice my korean]. this trip seemed to break down these barriers--i was speaking korean, they were speaking english...it was really great. last night, some of the teachers even invited me to a game party that they were having. [and apparently, i am really bad at all korean games.] but it was an awesome time, and we all stayed up talking until lateeee.

it was just a really great trip. i don't think i can express it in words. also that might be because i got negative two hours of sleep last night.

so many fantastic things happened: ju sun and ji sung, two of my favorite girls, decided to keep my company on the 4.5 hour long ride to gyeongju. they also decided to follow me around the entire time~~sooo cute. the girls from class 6-1 spent two hours walking with me around a park, teaching me korean history. min ju, another of my favorites, taught me a kpop dance [sign by brown eyed girls]~~and it also turns out that her cousin is minzy from 2NE1. awesome. on the bus ride back today, songhee sat next to me and talked to me for 4 hours. straight. in amazing english. at the talent show last night, three of my boys danced to a song by kara. which was pretty much the funniest thing i have seen. ever. class 6-1 invited me to their "cookie party"~~and they wrote me really sweet notes. i also spent a lot of time with the 6-10 teacher, gyu-ri. turns out, she's pretty awesome. and speaks near-perfect english.

i almost can't believe i'm saying this, but i'm really looking forward to going to school tomorrow. i have the best job EVERRRRR.
also my students are freaking adorable:
class 6-1 girls~~at millenium park

silly boys~~

songhee, gyu-ri, me, min ju, min young, songee, and ju sun

1 comment:

  1. sounds a little like you LOVEEEEEEEEEE your job my dear! and it sounds like they LOVE you! so glad you had a totally awesome time! life is way tooooo short to not like what you're doing....so this makes dear old mom happy to see you so happy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete