08 July 2010

quote of the day [volume two]

i have four coteachers, total [one for each grade that i teach]. two of them say the most random things imaginable to me. on an almost daily basis. it's not that their english is bad. on the contrary, both of them speak nearly impeccable english [at least grammatically]. so what they say to me, while being grammatically ok, is probably not something you should ever verbalize.

the following were actually said to me [fairly recently] by previously mentioned coteachers. [let's call them "coteacher #1" and "coteacher #2" for anonymity.]

*out shopping with coteacher #1, she notices that several korean guys are staring at me [one even passed by and turned to look again]*
coteacher #1: i bet you wonder why people here stare at you a lot.
me: maybe they think i'm pretty??
coteacher #1: no, they're just curious about why you're white.
me: ????????
**so i'm thinking that no one in this country is so ignorant that they are "curious" about why i'm white. it's not like they think i'm some sort of korean with a skin condition. i'm pretty sure they know why i'm white.

coteacher #2: is it hard to hold your eyes open?
me: .....what??
coteacher #2: your eyes are so big. so i think it is hard for you to keep them open.
**i still have no idea what this is supposed to mean. strange compliment? veiled insult? random observation?

coteacher #1: would it be ok if we taught the students the word "s***"?
me: absolutely not.
coteacher #1: but if we teach them, then they won't say it.
me: yeah, i'm pretty sure that if we teach them, then they will most definitely be saying that word.
**i'm not sure why it would be appropriate/acceptable for me to teach english curse words to elementary school students.

coteacher #1: last week, i taught the students the word "panties".
me: why? [the chapter we were studying was called "the book is on the table"]
coteacher #1: because i thought it would be funny.
later in class...i was teaching the students that they need to say "where IS my book?" because they kept asking "where my book?"
me: [to the students] you need to remember the word "is". it's really important. "where my book?" doesn't make sense.
coteacher #1: here is another example. if you say "where my panties at?" people will think you're dumb.
**i still can't think of a situation where any of my students should ever need to ask the question "where are my panties?" [especially the boys]. also, i'm pretty sure people will think you're strange for more than just grammatical reasons if you say that. to anyone. ever.

not ok.

1 comment:

  1. Awesomely funny. No, I know where the funny . Something missing. Not sure what it .

    ReplyDelete